One Leg Balance…
- Remove your shoes and socks and stand on both feet with your weight evenly distributed.
- Look to the horizon and relax.
- Lift one foot a few inches from the floor so you're standing on your favoured leg (usually the same side as your dominant hand.) Keep the lower leg vertical so you don’t tuck it beneath your torso.
- Hold this stance for as long as possible and worry if you wobble a little as this is natural – this is your reflexes maintaining balance.
- Try your other leg and see if you’re better or worse.
- You could challenge your family to a game and time each other to how long you can stand in this position.
A further test is to try the same position with your eyes closed – but don’t be surprised if you wobble more can’t hold it for long.
If you struggle with the eyes-open test, imagine a thread is pulling you up from the top of your head that makes you taller. Stay relaxed and keep breathing and don’t try to balance as this can impact your balance reflexes.
Balance is essential for movement, posture and ultimately our health. Why not do this one leg test for just a few moments a day as it will help to maintain and improve your balance.
Remember this, use it or lose it :0)
By Roy Palmer