As it is Back Care Awareness this month, here are some important back care tips.
- Exercise your back regularly –walking, swimming (especially back stroke) and cycling (including exercise bikes)are all excellent ways to strengthen your back muscles.
- Always bend your knees and your hips, not your back when lifting.
- Never twist and bend at the same time.
- Pace yourself with heavy work such as gardening.
- Avoid repetitive tasks, regularly change you position.
- Maintain a good posture by avoiding slumping, hunching over your desk or walking with your chin poking forward and your shoulders raised - see guide below.
- Always sit on a chair with a back rest with your feet flat on the floor. Change sitting postures
- Quit smoking. It is thought that smoking reduces the blood supply to the discs and may cause degeneration.
- Lose any excess weight.
- Choose a mattress suited to your height, weight, age and sleeping position.
- Always lift and carry objects close to your body.
- Try to carry loads in a rucksack and avoid single sling bags.
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Centre For Complementary Health has used all reasonable care in compiling the information
but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions